FIFA Plans to expand Women’s World Cup and double prize money

Football governing body, FIFA has announced its plan to capitalize on the success of the 2019 Women’s World Cup, which drew more than 1 million spectators and 1 billion television viewers, by expanding the competition and doubling the prize money.

FIFA president, Gianni Infantino who disclosed this at FIFA’s closing news conference, said they are considering expanding the next Women’s World Cup to 32 teams and doubling the prize money. According to him, the plan will go on even if it means reopening the bidding process now underway for the 2023 Women’s World Cup.

“It’s up to us to make sure we seize this opportunity and do something about it.  Moving ahead for the next World Cup, we will double it. I am very confident that we can achieve the necessary figures in order to do that,” Infantino said.

Infantino also promised that FIFA will invest a total of $1 billion in the women’s game over the next four years, having previously promised to invest $500 million in the women’s game.

“The reserves that FIFA has are at [an] unprecedented high level. We have more than $2.7 billion reserves. We don’t need all this money in the Swiss banks. The Swiss banks have enough money. We can use some of it. And I will certainly ask that some of it will be reallocated for the development of women’s football,” he added.

The prize money for the 2019 World Cup is $30 million, compared to $400 million for last year’s Men’s World Cup.

jeossyjs@gmail.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Next Post

ASUU Says FG's Education Policy is Anti-masses

Mon Jul 8 , 2019
The Academic Staff Union of Universities on Sunday described the President Muhammadu Buhari’s policy on education as anti-masses. It accused the All Progressives Congress government of a deliberate plan to starve public education with funds in order to deny Nigerian youths the right to know and challenge misrule. In a […]